Wednesday, December 4, 2013

support your local sheriff! I mean, film rustler!



Tonight was my last night with Jim Reed's Wednesday night features at one of Savannah's local coffeehouses.
Well, for this year, I mean.
I do hope his Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah will continue to bring to the table the lost films of yesterday, those which never made it to video in this country, or those which have been tied up in legal battles or other obscurity.
After all, we hunger for fare different from the buffets served at the commercial cineplexes. Not that their offerings don't, or cannot, sustain us, but the nutritional value is... well, mostly lacking.
You know I'm right.

Earlier this year, I had purchased advance tickets for the Wednesday screenings.
Doesn't he tend to choose horror films, which you do not consume, more times than not?
I do admit that he does lean in that direction, but he also brings comedies, action, film noir, and suspense (which he sometimes mislabels as horror). Oh, and musicals!
But wait! Don't you work on Wednesday evenings?
Well, yes, I do. Most Wednesdays, in fact, except in the summer.
Then why would you purchase a bunch of advance tickets for events you know you will not be attending?
Let me tell you why.
If he doesn't have the funds to procure the rights to show the films, then those films remain unseen. The good films, the bad films, and the ugly films - they could never be brought to town without the aid of advance funding.
Sure, the weekly tickey sales help keep the venture afloat, for the most part. But that revenue source is fairly slight some weeks and cannot be relied upon.
So, I gladly support PFS by purchasing advance tickets.
Even when it turns out that I have a few left over at year's end.

No comments: