Tuesday, June 3, 2014

a cape!


TA DAAAAHHHH!!!!
A cape is magical, right?!?!
You can be a superhero, just like Superman, which I hope Sam Johnson's nephew will aspire to be, which I know Sam aspired to be.
The red cape is definitely what drew me toward this "Ending Soon" kickstarter project.
What kept me here, though, is the preview offered by first-time publisher, Marty Kelley. In it, he talks about the use of a pillowcase as a cape.
Hey! I remember my brothers doing that!
How cool!
This guy knows what he's talking about with this children's book!
He's had plenty of experience, having written several books for young readers. In addition, he's illustrated several books for other writers. And I am sure his years as a 2nd-grade teacher have been an enormous asset, too.
Why do I have an interest? I have a nephew who is quite energetic and not attracted to books, though it isn't for lack of trying on my part. This book, however, may be just the thing to grab his attention!
(Are you reading this, Conner? Nah, I didn't think so. But you will!!)
So why did I throw $29 of my birthday money from my stepmom into this?
After all, it was an "Ending Soon" (as in tomorrow morning) project, but not local. Also, it met its funding goal about two weeks ago.
So, again, why did I join its list of backers?
Yeah, sure, I want the autographed book and the poster and the postcard!!! Of course, he'll be getting all except that postcard. That will be mine, mine, mine!
But, I also hope Mr. Kelley will attain his stretch goal.
You see, if he hits $10,000, he's going to donate a box of the books to The Children's Literacy Foundation. That's a very admirable goal.
I hope he makes it.

3 comments:

Marty Kelley said...

on kickstarter, July 11, 2014:
Update #8

Almost ready to print!

Hey everyone.

I just wanted to keep you all updated about the status of A Cape!

I've been working with the printers, getting proofs (they look amazing!) and making all the piddly little last minute changes. I'm awaiting one final set of soft-proofs and it should be ready to print. After that, a few weeks at sea, clearing customs, and a whole lotta books will be delivered!

I'm working on the last few sketches for donor prizes and getting poster and postcards designed. Everything is going really well. I can't wait to send you all your stuff!

As always, thanks, and let me know if you have any questions about what's happening.

Marty

faustina said...

fliss on July 14

Sah-weet!!! I'll be waiting on the porch....
:-)

Marty Kelley said...

Update #9

Sep 1 2014
Update!

Hello, all!

I was just reminded by a backer that I have been negligent in posting updates lately. I'm sorry about that.

Things are going great with the book. I got color proofs a few weeks ago and wasn't happy with the color on the book case. The printer agreed to reprint the cases - no problem and, the good news is, it didn't delay shipping as I feared.

As it stands right now, the books are printed, bound, packed, and are enjoying a leisurely cruise on a cargo boat from China.

They are scheduled to arrive at my doorstep on September 30th. I'll definitely let you know if anything changes with that.

After they arrive, I will begin shipping out donor prizes right away. I already have postcards and am awaiting posters. They should be printed and delivered in the next couple of days.

I'm honestly not sure how long it will take me to ship out all the books. I'm hoping that it won't take more than a week or so, but again, I'll keep you updated.

Take care and thanks again for helping with the book!

Marty