Wednesday, August 17, 2016

MVP, that's me!


Mighty Valuable Person?
Well, I like to think so.
I especially believe that I regarded as such because I have volunteered to be part of the Million Veteran Program.
That's right: I volunteered to be a member of this genomic study.
In the interest of advancing knowledge, in the interest of advancing science, in the interest of advancing medicine, and for the greater good of the world, I have given the most valuable resource I have.
My money?
No, that isn't needed here.
My time?
A little bit, when filling out the background paperwork.
My blood?
That's a bit closer to the truth, as I gave that yesterday.

I gave my most valuable resource, the very essence of myself.
I gave my deoxyribonucleic acids, that genetic information which describes everything about my body and how it works.
Collectively, the DNA information from me and more than five hundred thousand other veterans of the United States military will be used to solve medical maladies which affect both civilian and military components of the world's population.

I hope they will soon reach their goal of one million veterans.
What an incredible databank that will provide!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I received a generic email today, from va.gov, encouraging me to join MVP.
LOL!
I guess they don't know I already am part of that organization, and have been for FIVE YEARS.
They are especially wanting female veterans to join MVP.
Apparently, only 75,000 women have done so, compared to 755,000 men.
That's less than 10% of the data pool is from women.
I sure hope more will step up to the challenge!