Thursday, May 9, 2019

helping to help a friend

Tonight, I attended "A Dandy In Aspic", a 1968 British spy film with a delightful twist, at the Sentient Bean. I had a check in hand to first help Jim Reed by supporting his Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah. I was given a choice to buy one 5-movie pass at twenty-five dollars or to buy two of them for forty dollars.
In honor of my upcoming birthday, I purchased two of them.
Not only was that a better treat for me, it also placed needed cash in his hands.
He will be hosting a special PFS screening at the 'Bean on May 19 - a Sunday - to help my friend Carolyn.


She has been having dental issues for months now.
Her only recourse to relieve her pain is a very expensive surgery which will involve cutting out two of her teeth. Later dental work will then be needed to replace those molars and perform root canals.
She is in her seventies, living on a tight budget. She would never be able to afford to have this work done. She has two siblings - one a psychologist in Pensacola, the other long-retired and living in North Carolina - but they are of no help to her.
Hence, the "family" of friends she has chosen is being called to her rescue.
That includes me, naturally, plus a myriad of other folks here in Savannah.
After all, she's a native Savannahian and has played hostess to many in her life.
So, on May 19, we will be celebrating her with a movie and raffles, with all proceeds going toward her dental bills, past and present.
Did I say "past"?
Indeed I did, as she is to have the surgery to cut out the problematic teeth on Monday, May 13th.
A friend has loaned her those emergency funds, but will need to be repaid.
Hopefully, the special Sunday screening will raise enough to reimburse that person and give a start for the funds which will be required to complete the future dental work.
I have a Grant that I have been saving for a special treat, but I'm going to donate it for this special person instead.
That will be money well-spent... and better than any "thing" I might have purchased.

2 comments:

faustina said...

Here's the link to Jim's write-up about the fundraiser:

https://www.dosavannah.com/entertainmentlife/20190516/film-scene-slow-burn-double-mystery-screenings-with-fundraiser-kicker-this-week

I've already figured ut the movie to be shown... and I didn't even see the photo in the "DO Savannah" weekly!

faustina said...

Did I mention that the fundraiser page has finally been set up?
Well, it has, just two weeks ago.
Good for our French artist, Axelle Kieffer, for doing so!

https://www.gofundme.com/carolyn-maggi-medical-fund