Friday, June 21, 2019

no rollers needed for my blood

What on this blue-green planet am I talking about?
Well, I guess it would help if I showed the cartoon from "Close To Home".
John McPherson reminds me of "The Far Side" with his humor.

The comic depicts a donor lying on a table with a contraption with giant rollers at the bottom of his feet.
The nurse assures him that giving a pint will "only take about fourteen seconds".
Hahahaha hahaha!
I had seen the comic a week or two ago and saved it, knowing I had a trip to the American Red Cross coming soon.
Deborah, the front desk clerk, loved it!
She immediately made copies to share!

How long did my blood donation take today?
From the very moment I walked in and had my vitals taken, answered the questions, had the extra-rich fluid drawn off, and then returned up front for water and snacks was not quite thirty minutes - my usual.

That placed me in the three percent of Americans who donate blood.
I'm one of the three percent of Americans who are willing to set aside thirty minutes of their day, just once a year, to save someone's life.
Three percent of Americans.
Surely we, as a nation, can increase that number...
can't we?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy my lunch!
It's courtesy of Jason's Deli, for my birthday60+1, and features the very best parts of their salad bar.
Woohoo!!!

3 comments:

faustina said...

What's with the comment about my blood being "extra-rich" on this occasion? My iron count was up to 14.2 - up a full point from usual!

I must attribute that to the 6 oz Dallas filet I had at Texas Roadhouse on Marvelous Monday with Kevin. Beef really does kick up the iron!

The American Red Cross said...


Thank you.
Donations help save lives.

Earl and Merle
Earl and Merle have a lot in common. The 85-year-old twins both joined the Navy in 1954, they share a love of fishing and they've even both had wives named Kay. They're also both blood product recipients.

After a cancer diagnosis 24 years ago, Merle needed multiple blood products as part of his treatment. As part of his ongoing treatment, he has needed periodic transfusions, most recently this past December.

Over the last year, Earl needed four to six units of blood every two weeks to treat heart valve and gastrointestinal bleeding. To date, he has received 156 units of blood products.

The brothers and their families are grateful to donors – like you – without whom they wouldn't be alive today.

"My kids have a grandpa because of donors," said Earl's daughter-in-law, Angela. "It would be so wonderful if everyone who can give would do so!"

Merle's daughter, Teresa, shares the same sentiment. "I wouldn't have my dad or my uncle if it weren't for people donating," she said. "I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Donors have given them the gift of life and their families more time to spend with them. I have had years with my father that would not have been possible without these donations."

Thanks to the generosity of donors, recipients like Earl and Merle can continue to make precious memories with their families. When you donate blood products, you help give hope and healing to those who face life and death challenges. Your generosity can help change lives and keep families together.

Make donating a family affair! Invite a loved one to spend quality time donating blood products together.

With every 8 units you donate, you reach a special milestone. We love to celebrate, so we're keeping track. You've got 1 units left until you reach your next milestone.

- The American Red Cross

American Red Cross said...

Dear Faustina,

Thank you for giving blood with the American Red Cross on June 21, 2019. After first ensuring that local needs were met, your blood donation was sent to Regional Medical Center in Orangeburg, SC to help a patient in need.
Your donation is on its way to change lives!
Every day, people receive blood for life-threatening illnesses, blood disorders, traumatic injuries, and other conditions. You can feel proud knowing that your gift of a blood donation is critical to these patients.
On behalf of the hospitals and patients we serve, thank you for being a Red Cross blood donor.

Sincerely,

Dr. Pampee Young
Pampee P. Young, M.D., Ph.D.
Chief Medical Officer
American Red Cross