Friday, March 8, 2024

four women for international women's day!

I've been having a bit of a pity party, but what better way to celebrate the end of that moping than by helping other women?
And what better time to do so than on International Women's Day?
Indeed!
This action was especially beneficial to me because it made me feel part of something bigger than myself, part of a world family working to decrease suck.
Yes, I'm talking about being Fliss of Nerdfighters!
Three of the loans I chose were referred by that group, with a special boost: for every 5 Nerdfighters that helped each loan, the Piggy Bank would put in an extra $25.
Yes, please!
I did my part at 2 AM, before bed.
When I checked just now, those three loans had achieved that boost!!!
 
I'll have to see about adding Olga Christina to their list, so she can get the perk.
She's the one I had already selected before I came upon the Nerdfighter challenge.
She lives in Columbia - South America, not South Carolina - and has her own business selling textile products retail in the municipality of Riosucio.
After my demon-slaying foray yesterday, and given part of her name being that of my first niece, I thought helping this young Spanish-speaking starfish would be a nice part of the bday41 gift to Christina Ann.
Yes, there's an inside joke for my niece.
(smile!)

After choosing that loan, I stumbled onto the Piggy Bank challenge from Nerdfighters.
Clementine, part of the group villageoise Saint Michel in Congo (DRC), is a widow, 45 years old, and has 4 children who are all in school.
She reminded me of my mother at that age, though I was out of school and in the Navy, and Mama was already a grandmother by then.
Clementine has her own business, now 12 years old, of selling shoes and wants to expand her inventory of footwear and add handbags to sell.
She's doing that in a conflict-affected area, too.
Now she has my group helping to support her group!
(smile!)
 
Speaking of mothers who are grandmothers, Kady was the next person to benefit from me and the Piggy Bank.
That's her, the friendly woman in blue, waving from the midst of her group, in Senegal.
She is my first niece's age but has six children, as well as two grandkids living with her.
Kady sells honey and beeswax to pay for the children's education.
Glad to be of help to her!
(smile!)
 
Married, she started her grocery store four years ago to help support their three children, and now she is expanding her business with more choices for her customers, maybe even buying a taxi for her husband to have a steady income as well as serve their community.
Under 30 and on top of her game!
(smile!)

4 comments:

faustina said...

If I had waited until this morning, I could have doubled my impact for three of the four loans.
The loans for Olga Christina, Nadia, and Kady are all part of the 2x matching by Hitachi Corporation.
Here's hoping my endorsements will help bring success to them!

faustina said...

Olga Christina is fully funded!!!
Hooray!!!
And I didn't even need to call in the Nerdfighters Piggy Bank!

faustina said...

Nadia's loan is now fully funded!
Woohoo!!!
That's two done, two others still needing funds.
Keeping my fingers crossed for Clementine and Kady!

faustina said...

Clementine and Kady both are fully funded!!!

Very good!
:-)