Sunday, October 7, 2012

bronze bird flies to England


Woohoo! At the end of May, Ray Harryhausen was surprised with the letter of appreciation of his work and with the new bronze statue replica of his prehistoric bird from "Mysterious Island". I think Bruce Bowman did a marvelous job!
In the first week or so of September, he sent a link to me so I could download a copy of the letter for myself. I've only now had time to devote to the printing and framing of the piece.
I'm so very proud to have been part of this endeavor! As a fan of fantasy, mythology, science fiction, and science, I am also a fan of Mr. Harryhausen, even if I had been unaware that he was the mastermind designing the creatures in the movies I loved. I am most certainly aware, now, of the man behind the genius and am thrilled that he has been honored in this way, by fans, while he is still alive.
You see, the man is now 92 years old.
My stepdad was 89 when he tripped while doing laundry, broke his hip, and died.
Every moment is precious, y'all.

Here is a closer view of the message to "Uncle Ray", as he is known to those in the business. I think Bruce did a wonderful job at phrasing the message, don't you?
"There have been so many renowned animators, writers, artists, and filmmakers who have attributed their own creative gifts to your glorious fantasy films. As a sculptor, I humbly count myself among them.
When I learned your 'Phororhacus' model had been recycled for another project, I made it my goal to provide a replica for your shelves. And now with the support of those listed below, I am proud to present you my own recreation of your model.
Kindest regards, Bruce Bowman
"
See my name? I'm in almost the middle of the twenty-one signatures.
I only wish I could have signed it in person!
Of course, my scribble wouldn't have been nearly as nicely done.

The artwork was done by a local artist in Portland, Oregon, Bethany Grosvenor. Bruce and his wife saw her pen-and-ink drawings hanging in a bakery and decided then and there to engage her to design this beautiful letter.
It truly is art.
And that is why it is framed and hanging on my wall.

Want to know more about Ray Harryhausen?
Check out this site.
Best bit of trivia to me?
That part about his influence showing up in one of my favorite films, "Monsters, Inc.".
What is your favorite?
And, should you develop a hankering for your very own copy of the Phororhacus, you can order it here. You'll have to bronze it yourself.
(smile)

No comments: