Thursday, April 18, 2019

forty days of giving for Lent

Just before Lent began, I saw a meme about getting rid of an item a day for Lent.
I'm not Catholic, nor of any other religious persuasion that observes that holy day...
but I was taken by the idea.
I have so much that I have not used in years.
Why not pass it along to another who might cherish it?
The nearing of Mother's Day particularly inspired me to part with "nice" things.

I am sure someone's mother or aunt or
grandmother will appreciate these
beautiful glass dishes.
When did I last use them?
It's been at least a decade ago.
These lovely tote bags have hung on the
backs of door knobs for years.
I'm sure a new mother or an "oops" mom
will be able to make use of their
roomy depths.
How about some new hosiery?
Most of this was never even opened.
A mom getting a fresh start on her career
outside the home could make excellent use
of these for important job interviews.
These coffee cups will be good for moms or dads
or anyone, including visiting guests.
Just imagine being able to open a cupboard and
say "take your pick!"
Even with these nine cups going away, I still
have two shelves' worth staying with me.
(smile)
I'm hoping these chemistry textbooks will come
in handy in lieu of an encyclopedia of science
or for those without online search engines.
The coloring book and pencils were a gift some
years ago, never used.
Maybe now they will be.
Speaking of those with limited computational
ability or internet accessibility, I know these
programs will be useful for them!
Businessware, resume-writing, spreadsheets and
graphs, and so much more!
Not everyone has the latest laptop.
That leaves those items of beauty which serve no true purpose but to gratify a need for art.
I've had that ceramic clown since my days in Panama, making it more than three decades in age.
Better to free it up now before I manage to break it!
I know I've released more than forty items - the tally is close to seventy, at last count - and I truly hope they will be a blessing to someone, as well as to the coffers at Goodwill.

No comments: