Sunday, April 19, 2020

culture for my birthday62

Most of the venues I have loved this past decade, if not longer, are dark now.
Their doors have been locked, as we all shelter at home.
That is a loss I have felt keenly throughout my psyche.
I decided today to give myself something I haven't had in years:
a two-year subscription to the Smithsonian.
Every month, I will receive history, art, nature, and science in my mailbox.
Even better, this will be in print format, a gift to hold in my hands, a monthly magazine to reassure me that treasures still exist, that research still goes on, that stories of the past still live.
All of this is given to me because of a small contract of support with the writers and editors, the researchers and photographers, the publishers and administrative staff.
I look forward to being enriched by reading and inspired by art.
My many thanks.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Good news: my subscription did begin in time for my birthday!
How marvelous!
In fact, the issue for the month of June had even arrived by May 29th, so I'd received two parts of my birthday gift, with 22 issues to come - providing work for many along the way.
As I was scanning the contents page in this new issue, something caught my eye.
"TO OUR READERS
Like you, the journalists, artists, and production whizzes who created this magazine have had their daily lives upended by the Covid-19 pandemic. We designed and edited these pages from our homes while working with dozens of scholars, illustrators, photographers and writers around the world, themselves housebound. It has been unsettling, to say the least. Yest we feel fortunate to launch Smithsonian's 51st year of publishing, and we are warmly grateful for your support. Take good care. - The Editors"

I had not realized I was helping them celebrate an anniversary.
(smile)