Tuesday, November 1, 2011

shaking spears


Shaking up the Shakespeare with ... Britney Spears????
Wow!
Thsi could be either really, really good... or bone-crushingly bad.
Either way, I'm supporting the madness! You bet!
In the introductory trailer (check it here), we learn that Hamlet has only one question: to dance or not to dance - woohoo!
So here is the premise for this kickstarter venture: take four of the tragedies penned by the British Bard, mix liberally with the music of the tragic Britney, stir frantically, and BOOM! Comedy ensues!
The plays are all fairly common in high school literature classes: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Julius Ceasar. I don't know which tunes of Ms. Spears will be used.
Apparently, Erika Grotto was sharing her script with some theatre friends, just to feel them out on it... and they wanted to know when would they be doing the show for real! Serendipity, pure serendipidity.
Sadly, no vidoe or soundtrack will be available as rewards. Dratted copyright laws... mumble, mumble... but I will get a T-shirt, so that's good. And I know that I will because I've joined this party late, meaning the funding goal has already been met. Still, I joined in for moral support! Yeah, and the T-shirt. (Smile!)
Sure wish I could be there for the show. It's to be performed in a 75-seat venue, much like that of Muse Arts Warehouse, one of my favorite places here. Nice intimate space like that will make for quite a memorable theatre experience for all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Update #6
Jan 6, 2012
Where's my stuff, darnit?

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to let you know how things are going. We've begun rehearsals and are off to a good start. I was hoping to have all the incentive gifts out before rehearsals began, but unfortunately, that didn't happen. As of today, some cards and some videos have gone out. Those of you who will be getting t-shirts will receive them next month. I apologize for the delay but promise they'll be worth the wait.

If you have tickets coming to you, the box office is open! You can make your reservations by calling (630) 355-9212. For each comp you earned by pledging, you get a seat at one performance, but you are not guaranteed a seat unless you make a reservation.

Please contact me with questions, and I hope to see you all at the show!

Erika