Sunday, June 17, 2012

the shadow out of providence: a lovecraftical metatext


One thing leads to another, as The Fixx tells us.
That is certainly true in the case of this kickstarter project.
Literally.
I had discovered Erik Bauer's wrapping paper at the crowd-sourcing site and, as I was reading his updates, I was referred to Ezra Claverie's book in the making.
Nice, right?
So, I added my $37 to obtain a hardcover copy for myself.
Is the book about Cthulhu?
No.
Oh... then what is the draw for me?
This one book will be comprised of a play and two short stories, all inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, the man, warts and all. In particular, Ezra promises to explore Lovecraft's belief in the use of print media to portray the unknown as a source of fear and to utilize ignorance as a defense against that fear.
That should be an interesting collection, though perhaps not one for late-night reading, as it promises to include slime, the living dead, tentacles, and such.
You better believe I'll leave the light on for it!

2 comments:

Ezra Claverie said...

June 17, 2012
8:25 PM

Dear fliss,

Thank you so much for your pledge! When you have a moment, could you tell me where you heard about the project?

--Ezra

Ezra said...

18 July 2012
9:15 AM

fliss,

Thank you very much. I'll have to thank Erik for helping me spread the word.