Friday, June 22, 2012

TONYC has poetry on the streets!


Last night,
Concrete Justice,
the acting troupe of the Theatre of the Oppressed in New YorK City,
had the grand launch party
for their kickstarter-funded book,
"Street Poetry".
Success!
I have my very own copy, as you see here.
Someone in a homeless shelter
also has a copy of this book,
thanks to my support.
Thirteen other homeless shelters
also have copies of the book,
thanks to other backers of the project.
Think about that for a moment.
Fourteen shelters of the homeless,
all reading the words and seeing the artwork
contributed by other homeless men and women.
Fourteen shelters of the homeless,
each receiving the same book as a reward
as did I and thirteen other supporters.
You see, I backed the project at the level
which would not only garner a reward for me,
but for someone less fortunate.
Much as I did for another book project.
I can't speak for the rationales of the other supporters, though it is good to know they were willing to back the project at the same level - or higher - than I did. I can only speak of my motivation. You see, I'm grateful to be able to share the lagniappe from my mother's estate with others. I know she would want me to use the money in a good way - and I think kickstarter has allowed me to be a proud supporter of the creative endeavors of talented people in this world ccommunity.
Even better, I can benefit others who don't even know about these projects.
That is definitely a win-win situation.
And, as I had said before, I'll make sure my middle brother benefits from this book, too.
Maybe others in Georgia will be interested in the book, maybe even inspired to create their own outlets for their thoughts and emotions and perspectives.
Maybe someone will feel less alone and more part of a community.
One can always hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been xploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this
sort of space .Exploring in Yahopo I ultimately stumbled
upon thus web site. Studying this information So i'm happy too express that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I foiund out just what I needed.
I such a lot surely will make sure too do not disregard tjis site and provides it a look regularly.