Thursday, January 19, 2012

waddie welcome & the beloved community



I cannot recall how I found this project on kickstarter. However, as soon as I saw the title, I knew I wanted to be a backer.
Why? It isn't a local project, or even a project somewhere in Georgia. So, why?
The answer is in two parts.
My first attraction was the title, as I said. The university at which I teach has a Common Read book each academic year, a book which every freshman will read as part of their English core classes. Sometimes the book chosen is also incorporated into other disciplines, such as history, biology, chemistry, economics, criminal justice, education...you catch my drift.
The Fall semester of 2010 was my first as a full-time teacher at the university and I was immersing myself in the experience, including attendance at the seminars on the Common Read book for that year. Written by two local authors about a Savannah man with cerebral palsy, Waddie Welcome and the Beloved Community appealed to me on many levels. So much so, that I even spoke about the book to the publisher and authors after the first seminar.
Then I saw the title on kickstarter and the first thing I noticed was: the young woman involved with sharing this story is physically disabled. Nikki Booker had chosen, for her senior project, to bring this book to others in the form of a play, to share its message of community and inclusion.
Wow.
How could I not back it?
And share that project with others to also back?
And so I have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update #3
Jan 23, 2012
So Much Goodness and 52% There!

Thanks to everyone who has helped make this project go viral! We've had backers from Wisconsin, Canada, Ohio, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Georgia along with backers whom I've never even met. Really shows the power of this story, doesn't it?

Check out some good coverage below from Savannah journalist Bill Dawers. Thanks Tom Kohler for spreading the word and for believing in the project so wholeheartedly. Can't wait to see everyone in May.

http://www.billdawers.com/2012/01/20/kickstarter-campaign-to-bring-waddie-welcome-story-to-the-stage/

Check out some photos from another reading last Monday at Starfire. We had over 60 people attend, some hearing the story for the first time.

Nikki

Anonymous said...

Update #5
Feb 6, 2012
$273 to go, and so much to look forward to!

My goodness what a difference a weekend makes! So many people backing this project! We are $273 short of our $3000 goal with 11 days to go in the Kickstarter time frame! I am so grateful and appreciative of the kindness of others. Also, check out a wonderful blog post from the weekend about the journey Leah, Catie, Jeni, and I have been on. Keep spreading the good word and consider adding a dollar or two to your backing if the spirit moves you.

I've also created a Facebook event for the play. Make sure you click attending here http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/246074568800533/ and follow other updates there, too!

so excited and blessed,
nikki

Anonymous said...

Feb 6, 2012:

here is the link for the blog post:
http://cincibility.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/go-big-or-go-home-2/

nikki

faustina said...

Photo-1196.small
fliss on March 10, 2012

Congratulations on your success! I am very familiar with the story of Waddie Welcome, as he was also a Savannahian (like myself) and his story was part of my school's curriculum last year. He would be so thrilled about his story coming to life!

Faustina

Anonymous said...

Creator Nikki Booker on April 17, 2012

thank you Faustina for your support! I am so excited for this to take the stage on May 12th! Follow updates on Facebook on May 12th to see how it turns out!