Thursday, October 13, 2011

a dollop and a pinch wants to get cooking


Well, well, well! My first project in the publishing category of kickstarter! Why this one and not some other? Well, in keeping with my desire to "buy local', Dea Irby promised just that. Located in Georgia, she was the one-time owner of a tea room called The Baron York. After seven years, she decided to close up shop, only to find herself beset upon by folks clamoring for her recipes.
Enter kickstarter. Here, she could ask the recipe-seekers to put their money - and that of others - where their craving mouths were. Truthfully, I joined the project late, after it had already garnered all of its funding, but still had four days to go until the deadline. I jumped on the bandwagon anyway.
Say what? They allow folks to do that?
Yes, they do.
So why did I?
Well, November of 2009, I found myself having Thanksgiving dinner in Augusta at the home of one of my cousins. She is a long-lost cousin on my father's side, pushed to the wayside when her mom and my mom, once best friends, had a falling out with each other. That was around Christmas of 1967 or 1968, as I recall. By a chance meeting with her best friend from high school at a festival in Jekyll Island, Beverly and I had been reunited and I had made the trip to visit her for the first time in almost forty years.
She is a very fine cook. She does a bit of catering and loves to throw dinner parties, too.
She is the reason I signed on to back this cookbook.
You see, for the paltry sum of $59 dollars, or just a little more than my cellphone bill, I will be granted two autographed copies of the cookbook. One for me, one for Beverly.
What a priceless Christmas gift for both of us!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update #11
Oct 17, 2011
All Funded! Now getting to the printer....

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We made it to the end of the longest 30 days....During these 30 days, 4 of my children have had birthdays, my husband and brother have had birthdays, 2 grandchildren have had birthdays and one grandchild was born but I'm thinking there have been more labor pains with this cookbook than all those combined. (Tomorrow is another grandchild's birthday and there is one at the end of the month!) Regina has spent endless hours designing and fitting info on all the pages. While riding home from the Wake Forest football game (where son Gabe plays) I was working on my computer getting the page numbers corrected in the index. And, then after getting home, I've been getting the table of contents ready. The page numbers couldn't be set until the pages were filled.

I just wanted to let you know where I am with the process and, well, show off my new granddaughter. Her brother's birthday was two days earlier.

I hope to post a play by play description of the final process. You can pace with me outside the delivery room!

A dollop of thanks and a pinch of love,

Dea

faustina said...

fliss on October 17, 2011

What a nice correlation between birthing a child and creating a lasting work of art!

Anonymous said...

Update #14
Nov 3, 2011
Today is the day?

I thought about waiting until I actually sent the file to the printer, but I have time to send out a quick note now and the file should go out later today.

After the cookbook went to Atlanta to the editor/publisher, there was more work to be done! Some rewrites and reorganize.....replace this and add that.... found that one of the recipes was missing most of the instructions! Two extra pages had to be added to include the instructions which then made many numbers in the table of contents, the index and internal references to other pages wrong!

This is going to be a work of art! A master piece of perfection! At least, I hope it is. And ready in time for Christmas.

Well, thanks again for being on this journey with me, for even making the journey possible. Believe me, you will probably HEAR me shout from the mountain tops when the book is in.

This post was written at an historic moment Nov 2011....at 11:11 that's 11/11 11:11.

Dea

faustina said...

fliss on November 3, 2011

Nice touch about the timing! I believe in the power of numbers to serve as good omens. You go!!!