Thursday, October 13, 2011

fairtax, the musical



Well, alrighty then! A musical about politics!
Actually, Fairtax: The Musical is theatre and marks the second theatrical project I've backed on kickstarter. I hope it does as well with its funding as the summer venture here in Savannah did!
This one's home base is about four hours from me, so, when the play is eventually produced - estimated as July 2012! - I'll easily be able to drive up to see it. Maybe my best friend and her family will even be able to join me! Marietta is just an hour away for them.
Actually, when I know the specifics of the performance dates, I'll have to see if some of the Drinking Liberally chapters want to make it a group venture. THAT sounds like it would be a lot of fun and certainly lead to some good discussions at our meetings.
This portrayal of an ideal America, where everyone contributes their 23% for the benefit of all, should be quite entertaining. As it begins, everyone who buys anything, whether goods or services, is paying into the federal government. (No word about state or local taxes in this play. Hey, one thing at a time!)
A rather utopian manner of tax collection it is, until the politicians abolish it in favor of a more complex, progressive income tax... like we currently have.
Don Goodman is a man on a mission, a mission to change the income tax system, one song at a time!
I'll be listening for every note, too.

2 comments:

faustina said...

Alas! 'Tis not to be. As of December 1, 2011, the project did not meet its funding goal. I guess the Children's Garden Theatre will not be performing this after all.

faustina said...

6 January 2014:
News flash! The project has apparently been revived, though not on kickstarter. Check out youngactorsplayhouse.com for an update. April 2014 is the date for performances!