Thursday, November 28, 2013

thanksgiving wishes from afar


I received the above message yesterday and wanted to share it here.
To my knowledge, none of these projects are making films or writing plays.
They are all working to make the world better by literally working, as farmers and grocers, llama herders and fishermen, knitters and woodworkers. All working to help their communities and families and friends to have better lives.
What a worthy goal.
I had written about it recently in my other blog, but it bears repeating.

"I joined Kiva in July of 2012 because the Nerdfighters group was having a membership drive. (I no longer recall how I stumbled upon the Nerdfighters. The important thing is this: I did.) The deal was this: an "angel" (an unnamed sponsor) would provide $25 to each new member. The new member would then "donate" this money toward a loan for a struggling business owner in some country. The business owner was then responsible for repaying this loan, with the money going back into the lender's acoount. The lender could then make anothe loan to a new business owner.
So, for no cost to me, I was able to do a good deed.
Hey, life doesn't get better than that!
Do a favor for a stranger for free?
That's easier, and faster, than giving blood. Why wouldn't someone participate?

At that time, I had also invested $25 of my own money to fund someone else's dream of a better life. On September 21, 2013, that loan was repaid in full and I again had $25 to invest. On that very same day, I selected a group in Bolivia to receive that amount from me, towards their loan.
When I did, here's the message I received from Kiva:

"Dear Faustina,
Thank you for making a Kiva Loan!
We're so excited that you've chosen to give a hand up to entrepreneurs working towards better lives.
Best wishes,
The Kiva Team
www.kiva.org
Loans that change lives"

You can change a life, too.
And you can do so the very same way I first did.
For free.
Using the money of an angel.
Just use this link.

Become 1 in the next 1,000,000.

No comments: