Friday, February 24, 2012

acting for the good of the masquers


When Gail, the woman in charge of legacy gifts at Armstrong Atlantic State University, had asked last fall what I wanted to do for the Armstrong Foundation, I had responded with my heart.
I wanted to benefit the Armstrong Masquers theatre troupe.
The "Take Your Seat" program was somewhat familiar to me already, as I had seen other plaques on the seats in the refurbished Jenkins Hall.
I had not realized that the monies raised in this manner also benefited scholarships for the student actors.
That was a definite bonus to me!
After all, I was serving on the Student Success Committee for a second year. That service had allowed me much insight into the workings of scholarship distribution and attention to the wording of qualified applicants.
In other words, not all students were eligible for all 'free' money.
Some funds were specific as to the major field of study of the applicant.
Monies given to the "Take Your Seat" program was channeled only to those students of the arts, including music and theatre.
As I said, this project spoke to my heart.


So, what am I looking at so fondly?
The bronze plaque embedded in the arm of Seat C-C-112 in Jenkins Theatre.
It reads:

"IN MEMORY OF
MY MOTHER
SYBIL FAUSTINA BARRY
"

Quite lovely, isn't it?
Of course, I would not want her to be seated without me.


My seat is to her left, in Seat C-C-113
That allowed me to be closer to her heart, and her to have the even-numbered chair, as well as a seat closer to the center of the theatre.
She always preferred symmetry, whereas I find beauty in asymmetry.
My plaque reads:

"LONG LIVE THE
ARMSTRONG MASQUERS!
FAUSTINA LEE SMITH
"

It has taken several months for the plaques to be fashioned and attached.
I say it was well worth the wait!
Now, to be patient and await the next production by the Masquers!
It'll be nice to see my name listed on that program.
I know John Suchower would heartily approve.
So would Mama... and that is the point, truly.

No comments: