Wednesday, February 1, 2012

warrior writers: after action review



Today, I finished reading the two books I received for backing this kickstarter project.
I can hear you now: Two books? I thought you were getting one?
Well, I was only supposed to receive the third anthology, After Action Review - but it was to be autographed. When it arrived in December, just a month after I had backed the project, I was very impressed with the professional quality of the publication. Glossy cover, nice artwork outside and in, well-bound volume; you can order your own copy here.
I really liked the bookmark, too, as it features handmade paper and has a "fashioned in the field" quality.
There was just one problem: my copy of the the book was not personalized for me.
So, I contacted them, asking if I should be looking on some particular page...
Warrior Writers
Dec 28, 2011
Hello Faustina,
First off, I would like to apologize for the mix-up and the delay in response. The holidays have been crazy and we're still reeling with excitement of having the book!
There must have been confusion during our packing party and we would like to send you a signed book. Would you like a signed copy of After Action Review or would you like a signed copy of one of our other two anthologies: Move, Shoot, and Communicate or Re-Making Sense?
You can check out the other two books here:
http://www.printmojo.com/WarriorWriters/
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and would like to make this right.
Thank you,
Jamie

Above and beyond the call of duty was their response! That was impressive, too.
I selected the first anthology -
best to begin at the beginning, right?
Plus, I really liked the title,
Move, Shoot, and Communicate,
as it reminded me of a favorite joke,
the one featuring pandas.
As you can see by comparing the books in the two photographs, the two issues are quite different in appearance. The first anthology was less than thirty pages and was a chapbook. The third book is close to two hundred pages and was professionally published. Going to kickstarter to generate funds was apparently a very good move for Warrior Writers!
But it is important to note that the quality of the content is the same in both books. That content is derived from the healing writing of the veterans involved in the workshops. Maybe you know someone who might benefit from learning to loose their demons through print - or by reading the words of others who are doing so.

No comments: