Sunday, February 12, 2012

love shack




I do wish I hadn't wimped out on this invite. The weather had turned brutally cold and traveling north for an outside event just hadn't seemed like a good idea, especially as I am allergic to the cold. Still, fliss is glad to have been a partner in this celebration of music in Athens, home of the B-52's.
Although I first heard about the Love Shack Bus Stop on kickstarter.com, the concept for the project first evolved in 2005, when the economy was riding high and real estate was everything. The city was wanting to remodel some of the bus stops and add some pizazz for the riders (and possible garner more). A competition ensued, with artists submitting their public-space designs and hoping for city funding. The artist responsible for this particular vision was asked to resubmit for the local-music-inspired phase of the competition, which was held in 2008 - and she WON! In return, the city granted the funds for construction of her design.
Fast forward to fall of 2011. The bottom had dropped out of the real estate boom, gas prices had leapt to more than $5 per gallon, and everything energy-driven - meaning, EVERY THING - now cost substantially more. Athens had already committed to paying the costs estimated at the time of submission, three years earlier, and would not fund more.
This artist had previously constructed he Love Shack homage in a family barn in Tennessee as a school project, circa 2003. She based her public design on that earlier structure, but reconfigured for strength and subjection to weather, as well as meeting all safety and utility constraints set by the department of transportation. In other words, she had to learn a bit about architecture to construct her art work.
And she did, and now riders of public transit have a more welcoming spot to await their "stretch" vehicle. As for the effect on myself? Well, I'm rethinking using my car every day, and perhaps making better use of my tax dollars. Instead of paying twice - once for public transport and again for gas for my personal transport - I just might begin again to let someone else do the driving.
Meanwhile, I will enjoy the magnet she sent to me as my reward.
I really do like magnets!
Especially when they are a pretty as this one is.
I know just the right spot for it on my fridge, too!

1 comment:

faustina said...

here's the link to the pictures posted by Dana Jo Cooley on her webpage:
http://danajocooley.com/section/124991_love_shack_bus_stop.html