Saturday, February 11, 2012

curse of the sunset starlet


Wow... Lori Precious had me with the name of her leading actress, Kathleen Wilhoite. I remember her as the struggling-on-the-fringes-of-society little sister of Dr. Susan Lewis (played by Sherry Stringfield) on tv's long-running series, ER. I guess I could relate to the common dysfunctional aspect of their family and my family: drugs and alcohol and bad choices.
Since then, Kathleen has had many diverse roles in feature films and on other television shows. Here, in "The Curse of The Sunset Starlet", she is the one toeing the line while her mother trips lightly along the other side of it.
The director, well established in California and with plenty of working credentials [that's "street cred" to my younger readers, :-)], she certainly has the experience behind her. And, guess what? She also works at designing art with butterfly wings!
Just like the main character in this film!
And just like the main character, her designs feature starlets from the past. The one that most captured me in its butterfly net of colors is that of Dorothy Hart, not because I recognized her as herself, but because I mistook her for Judy Garland's "Dorothy" from "The Wizard of Oz". (That particular film has significance in my life.) Go ahead, click the link and see for yourself the resemblance! And while you're there, admire those of "Rear Window"s Georgine Darcy, Thelma White of "Reefer Madness", "The Damned" Ingrid Thulin, and Paula Raymond from "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms", among others immortalized by Ms. Precious in 2006 and 2008.
You know, I may be just as much as excited about the artistry with the cult-fave actresses as much as I am with the mystery of the story.
There's also a bit of mystery in the casting. Although Kathleen is a lock, the woman playing her footloose and fancy-free mother is not yet cast. I wonder who will get that juicy role??? My guess is it will be another well-known actress!
I've thrown in $29 for my option to "call" on this hand. I'm going to be a big winner, regardless of who is cast, because I'll have the video to enjoy over and over!
That'll be a great belated birthday gift for me!
Well, if I've helped enough and in time. This project is needing serious funds - $12,000 - and this is the final push, as its deadline is later today.
It's going to be close!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update #11
Feb 15 2012
SUCCESS!
1 comment

Hi Kickstarters!

I sent out a HUGE THANK YOU on the day we were fully funded (Friday Feb 11) thanks to ALL OF YOU! But a friend just told me he didnt get it and I'm not sure why. Anyway, a big shout out and a bigger even THANK YOU for jumping in to help fund Curse of the Sunset Starlet. You guys rule!!!

After meeting with Joan Scheckl, acting coach for directors, I'm inspired to make a few revisions to the script so I am in the thick of that process. Meeting with various crew members, audtioning round 2 has begun.

Will you please let me know you got this THANK YOU??? I couldn't have gotten this far without your help and we are eternally grateful.

Your friend and fan,

Lori

Anonymous said...

10:09 pm, Feb 15, 2012:

Hi Fliss (? izat your name? Nice!)

Thank you SO MUCH for helping us to get to our Kickstarter goal and get fully funded!

xoxo
Lori