Saturday, February 18, 2012

chromazoid



In memory of Sam Johnson - I know he would have found the concept of a multi-comic book with a soundtrack to be TOTALLY fascinating. I miss you, man.


I received my rewards on February 1. Initially, I took some time and thoroughly admired the comic thank-you card (Coolness! They really like my name!. Then, I started skimming through the book, looking at the works by the nine artists - including the work of some female artists! Ultra-cool! Then, it hit me that I was doing it wrong - the comics had a soundtrack on cassette tape.
So, I popped the tape into my player. The tape has one more track than there are comics in the book - I have no idea why. I listened to the tape while I was reading, but you need to make sure you have a block of time, let's say an hour, before doing so. The two are quite an experience, shoving you into a world peopled by a rough-looking crowd with jangly edges. After a while, there is some melding and mellowing, but the harshness of the alternate reality remains in evidence throughout your journey.
The first story-tune combination remains my favorite. Told through the eyes of the dog, we see the master's decline and feel the sadness of the dog. The drawings are pretty graphic and animated, revealing the more simple mind of the dog and the depth of his concern. The music seems to echo the confusion and hypersensitivity of the beast, but perhaps that perception is based more on my lack of familiarity with the band.
I wonder which music-comic duo Sam would have favored?

No comments: