Tuesday, April 8, 2014

fliss of kickstarter



Lately, I've been announcing myself to be "Fliss of Kickstarter" to folks. Well, not to say that I'm going around town doing that, of course; I've done it on LinkedIn, as I invite those I have supported to join my network there. People might think I had lost my mind more so than normal if I proclaimed in person my presence as Fliss of Kickstarter. But I believe in my heart the philosophy expressed by Robin Williams in an interview, "You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.".
My spark of madness seems to manifest as doing good unto others.
I know, strange superpower, right?
Still, as Fliss of Kickstarter, I am able to do good by helping the dreams of others to come true. In turn, I receive a rekindling of the fire in my soul, the fire which keeps my heart from becoming chilled by the deep sadness of the world.
I also, as I have written much of late, received some physical manifestations of dreams made real. I truly do enjoy that; it's always heartwarming to see a new tree bring forth first the flowers of things to come, then actual fruit for all to enjoy. Sweet!
Today, I shared an especially juicy morsel with my dear friend Hai. Tomorrow is his birthday.
He is aware that I have backed some projects on kickstarter, as I have talked about a couple of times of late. I've worn two of my rewards, T-shirts from "The Restaurant Job" and the SeeSAW Muralcle.
I had already let him watch one of the films I had supported. His forte is film and theatre, academically, and I thought he would appreciate the uniqueness of the film "Chalk Talk", which has no dialogue except written words on a chalkboard. Yeah, it is a bit of a "chick flick" - but he did watch the whole thing and seemed to enjoy it before he headed off to other venues.
Hai has a lot of creative interests, including drawing, comic books, and superheroes. So, in honor of his birthday, what better gift could I give than Silencer? This first edition, brand new superhero, created by Ethan Wright, is the best way to show him how very special he is to me.
So, now that I have gone all sappy, one last message: I love you, Hai! Happy 34th!

No comments: